About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Angels in the Architecture (Literally)

Prague's Rich History Told Through Buildings

One of the Angel Statues at Loretta

One of the pleasures of getting to live in Prague for a month is being able to see beautiful buildings that are centuries old. In Texas, the oldest building I probably have seen is from the 18th century, while in Prague some of the oldest buildings date back to the 9th century. Some of my favorite buildings here have to be the churches. There is just something about them that make them so majestic and wonderful to look at. One of my favorite churches is the St. Vitus Cathedral. It is a gothic style and is the spiritual symbol of Czech state. The church was founded in the 9th century, and its final construction ended in the 19th century, making it about a thousand-year process. The cathedral is beautiful, and is especially made so by its flying buttresses and because of its intricate details. During an architectural walking tour, we came across this small church that is in the picture called Loretta. The details, such as the gold trimming against the cream colored building and the statues made it much more beautiful compared to the monstrous palace that was in front of it. In Old Town Square one of the main attractions besides the astronomical clock is the Tyn Church. This church is in Gothic style and its two tall towers have four spires, which make this church really beautiful and unique. Prague has so much to offer architecturally, and one thing that is truly remarkable are it’s churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers