About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Monday, June 13, 2011

Weekend Miser

Strolling through Cesky Krumlov

A couple enjoys a walk around the town Cesky Krumlov

After a long day learning about beer and breweries, we arrived to Cesky Krumlov, the site of our weekend excursion. Cesky Krumlov is a small town located in the Southern Bohemian part of the Czech Repubilc, and let me tell you it is something straight out of a storybook. We arrived late in the evening and ate dinner at a great small restaurant right along the river and had a delicious meal and dessert. There were tons of tourists on the sidewalks that double as streets, so I decided it would be best to enjoy this town early in the morning when there weren’t crowds of people. I walked around before breakfast and enjoyed the scenery here that made me think I was in Hansel and Gretel due to the cobblestones and architecture of the small cottage-like buildings. Very few people were out during this time, which made everything peaceful. I saw a couple of little old ladies sitting on a bench and watching the river. I also saw a few people jogging or simply strolling like I was. It was nice to see the town before it awoke and began getting busy.

The view of the river from our hotel

Later that morning we toured the chateau which is home of a few bears residing in its moat. It was a great castle and our tour guide, who was from Florida, was very lively. My favorite parts of the tour were the views of Cesky Krumlov and getting to see the enchanting Baroque theater, which is one of only four Baroque theaters surviving and one of the most preserved. During the day there was not much to do and it was nice to be lazy and enjoy the pretty town. Later that day we went to a photo atelier that belonged to Josef Seidel. Seidel is a famous Czech photographer who documented life in the Bohemian part of the Czech Republic. Having a lot of interest in photography, it was fascinating to see the history of photography and the role it played in people's lives.

A classmate photographing an antique camera

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers