About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Friday, June 3, 2011

Noticed

Street Art

It seems like every corner I turn on I see graffiti written on the walls. Sure, I see some of it in the United States, but in Prague, street art never seems to be washed away. Most of it is pretty horrible, as if children scribbled on the walls with spray paint, but every now and then I see something that really catches my eye. Recently, street art has become very popular with movies such as “Exit Through the Gift Shop” which is a documentary about street art and the famous Banksy. It seems as if street art is really becoming an acceptable form of art.

I for one like street art because it brings some color to the street. Seeing buildings that all look the same sometimes gets repetitive, but having a character or a statement written on it and making it look good adds some character to the neighborhood. There are many famous Czech street artists such as Pasta, Cryptic 257, Tron, and Skarf. These artists are professionally trained and have been featured in exhibits. They don’t just see their work as graffiti as Skarf explains, “street art is a less assaultable. Street artists often touch on social themes and that’s not like graffiti. The establishment cannot tell the street artist that he is ruining the street.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers