About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Facts of Life

Meditations on Tea


Alexia contemplating what tea to order

Amidst the chaotic Wenceslas Square, where people are constantly shoving to get from here to there and cars are always honking, there is an oasis of quietness and spiritual calm. This oasis is in the form of Dobrá čajovna, which translates into good tearoom. Dobrá čajovna is a tearoom chain which started in Prague and has franchises in all the major Czech Republic towns, in other parts of Eastern Europe, and even in the United States. The tea room in Wenceslas Square is the original one and has some interesting history to it. During the times of Communism, tea lovers would unite to sample different teas imported illegally and after the Velvet Revolution, they opened up this tearoom.

They offer a variety of teas from different parts of the world, and their menu is nearly a book. I love tea and drink it almost everyday so to have found a tearoom was like a dream come true. I really liked the atmosphere that was created by the tea’s calming effects and it’s Buddha garden décor, I even saw a few people meditating here. It was a cool place since there was a lot of shade and we sat on cushions on the floor and ordered a sweet tea and a cold tea. The cold tea tasted like a green tea milkshake and it took me a while to get accustomed to the taste, but the herb tea we ordered was delicious. They also serve snacks here to complement the teas such as hummus and baba ghanoush. It was a nice experience to cool down and meditate in the middle of a hot day.

Baba Ghanoush and our tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers