About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Morning Glory

Trekking the King's Parade

The King's Parade 2011

Arriving at the Prague Castle after journeying on two trams early Saturday morning, people in medieval costumes started to appear under the bright blue sky next to St. Vitus Cathedral. It was the beginning of the King’s Parade, which commemorates King Charles IV and begins at the Prague Castle and ends at Karlštejn Castle, making it a total of eighteen miles. Luckily we only stayed at the parade for a few hours and it was enough time to enjoy the royal costumes and watch the jester do various silly things.

The history of the parade dates back to the Holy Roman Empire when the emperor would take the coronation jewels from Karlštejn Castle to put them on display at St. Vitus Cathedral after Easter. This parade celebrates the return of the crown to Karlštejn. There are many other activities that take place after the parade such as knight fights, concerts, and theater. People can participate with or without costumes. I think it would be fun to dress up as a medieval character just to feel like I am in olden times because it’s always fun to pretend. I really liked how the people who wore the costumes really played their roles well, such as the guards yelling and the royal way the King carried on. It almost felt like I was transferred to medieval times, if it wasn’t for the cars and the crowds of people.

http://www.kralovskypruvod.eu/?go=program&la=en#h2

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers