About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Nocturnalist

Waiting for the Tram

A woman waits for her tram

Two days ago there was a transportation strike in Prague that brought trams, subways and buses to a halt. A trade union was striking against reforms of pension, healthcare, welfare, and tax systems and about 2,000 people marched in protest through Prague. However a few trams and buses were still running, making it seem like there was really nothing to worry about other than over-crowded trams. This strike made me think about how important public transportation is in Prague, compared to the US. People in America love their cars and driving huge SUVs and Texas-size trucks is a common thing. It’s different here in Prague where everyone rides public transportation because it is so easy and convenient. I really wish that public transportation was more regularly used in the United States and that it was easier to use. For example having a train from Dallas to Austin to Houston seems like it would make people’s lives a lot easier and get rid of all the traffic. Not only is public transportation ecological but also, for me, I know driving is just not fun. There’s traffic and crazy drivers, and after a hectic day, riding a bus or a train is calming and worry-free. There are certain things that Europeans know more about than the United States and public transportation is one of them.

A subway, known as a metro in the Czech Republic, arriving to the station

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers