About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Noticed

A Trip to See Modern Art

A sculpture stares down at Albert and Jules

It is hard to tell from the unsightly appearance of the building next to our apartment that it houses world-famous pieces of art including works from Picasso and the famous Czech artist Mucha. We visited the Veletržní Palace that belongs to the National Gallery in Prague last week and took a tour to learn about and see art from the 20th and 21st century. The museum has four floors of galleries, which has work from foreign as well as Czech artists and includes paintings, photographs, architectural sculptures and even experimental films.

A shadow reflects off a sculpture

A sculpture made of brass

Coming to this museum I realized how “weird” modern art can get (such as having a photo of a woman with animal parts strewn on her belly) which made me think about the purpose of modern art and why it is considered art. A quote from one of the artists featured in the museum Jindrich Chalupecky explains, “the art discovers reality, creates reality, reveals reality, the world we live in and us who live. Since not only theme but also sense and intent of the art is nothing but the day-to-day, horrific and famous drama of man and reality: drama of enigma facing wonder. If the modern art is notable to do that, then it will be useless.”

An experimental film

I can’t say I am a fan of all modern art but the most I can say is that it is interesting, appealing, and grabs my attention. The artists of this time have a lot to say, and as a photographer I came here and took mental notes on how they say it, and it makes me think about what stories I want to tell with my images.


The gallery space of the Veletržní Palace

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers