About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekend Miser

Medieval Castle Adventure: Karlstein

A man gets into character at the castle

At this point of the trip I thought I would be tired of castles after going to several and hearing about even more, however I still wanted to visit the Karlstein Castle after hearing how beautiful it was from my other classmates. Me and my roommates also wanted to get out of Prague since we have been here for nearly a month, and have seen pretty much all there is to see here (although it never gets old). Karlstein is a town about 45 minutes away from Prague and is easily accessible by train. We bought our tickets for 60 crowns each roundtrip, about 3 dollars, and took the 1 pm tram. Upon arriving we were sadly greeted with cold weather and rain, but that didn't ruin the day trip. The castle was really big and from far away it looked like something out of a storybook. We toured the inside and learned about Charles IV, the second king of Bohemia, who is an important historical figure of Prague. He made Prague an imperial capital and many places are named after him such as Charles University and Charles Bridge. The castle was very medieval and less decorated than the castles we had been to before. The town itself was very touristy and there were many souvenir shops along the way, and some unique little shops. It was a cute little town to complement the huge beautiful castle.

A shop sells cute colorful items


No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers