About Me

My photo
I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph. -Leon Levinstein

Friday, May 27, 2011

Around Here

Dancing in the Street: Romani Festival

The sun was shining high and slowly people in gypsy costumes started to appear at Wenceslas Square early yesterday morning. People were getting their picture taken with the bands of gypsies, stilt walkers, and musicians, as people with badges directed them on where to stand and when to perform. It was the beginning of the World Roma Festival or Khamoro, which celebrates Romani culture and its music. This festival is held every spring in May and this parade is only a part of it. The parade was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the music and the dancers, and watching the stilt-walkers walk over people. From the troupe from India playing its brass instruments with its ever-smiling dancer in bright red and green colors, to the flute, accordion, and saxophone-playing band, to many other different groups of belly dancers, there was much to see and hear. Horses and a carriage, carrying a gypsy Romani singer, led this parade from Wenceslas Square to Old Town Square (which is located in downtown Prague). The music livened up the streets as people stopped what they were doing to see this colorful ensemble go by and either enjoy it or take pictures. I loved the atmosphere that was created of cheer and life. Everyone was enjoying the entertainment and having fun, and the backdrop of Prague’s beautiful buildings created a scene that can only be described as one of the best moments of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog:

I am a student at the University of Texan at Austin studying abroad and am documenting life in Prague, Czech Republic through photography. Each day I blog about one of the nine assigned categories Morning Glory, Weekend Miser, The Nocturnalist, Wish You Were Here, Small Wonder, Noticed, Around Here, Facts of Life, and Angels in the Architecture. I hope to learn about another culture and learn important lessons in photography with this experience.

Followers